Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Marcus Luttrell: Navy SEAL, Retired; Military Veteran



In 2005, Marcus Luttrell, a Navy SEAL, was part of Operation Redwing in Afghanistan with other SEALs. 

During an intense gun battle, other members of his team were killed; Marcus was the only survivor. Badly wounded, he crawled and walked seven miles to evade capture. American forces rescued him six days later.

Marcus wrote the book Lone Survivor in honor of his team members. 

The movie, Lone Survivor, starred Mark Wahlberg who played Marcus (2013). It was nominated for an Academy Award, and won a Screen Actors Guild Award (2014).

Marcus is committed to these words: "I will never quit. My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight."

Thank you for your military service.

I photographed Marcus with a serious expression, and this smile. His smile comes easily when he talks about his wife and children.

Photograph © 2020 Larry F. Levenson. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment