Highlights of his career include:
* 8 Big Eight Conference regular-season championships.
* 6 Big Eight Conference post-season tournament titles.
* 16 NCAA Tournament appearances, including 2 Elite Eights.
* 5 National Invitation Tournament post-season appearances.
* 1 CCA post-season tournament appearance.
* 1982 UPI Basketball Coach of the Year, and 1994 Associated Press Coach of the Year.
* Won the most games in school history by a wide margin.
* Had more wins for MU than in its entire 60-year basketball history prior to his arrival.
* 17 seasons with 20 wins or more.
* Coached 9 All-American players, and 21 First-Team All Conference players.
There is a story about the University of Missouri Tigers playing in Lawrence, Ks., against the University of Kansas Jayhawks: Coach Stewart refused to have his team lodge, dine or purchase gasoline in Kansas because the taxes paid would support the rival school.
Stewart's intensity on the sidelines earned him the name, "Stormin' Norman".
Photograph copyright 2013 Larry F. Levenson. All rights reserved.